What is a General Plan Amendment?
The General Plan Amendment process allows property owners to apply for major amendments to the Town's existing General Plan each year. Applications are accepted once a year in June. The criteria for amending the General Plan are established by ordinance. All proposed Major General Plan Amendments undergo a 60-day public comment period.
After a series of public meetings, the proposed amendments are presented at Public Hearings before the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Town Council. By law, the Town Council votes to approve or deny the Major General Plan Amendment applications. A super-majority vote five Council members is required to approve a Major Amendment to the General Plan.
2013 Major General Plan Amendments
The 60-day public comment period for this year's Major General Plan Amendment applications began in July. A Public Open House to gather input on these applications was held in August. The open houses were held on Aug. 28, 2013 and Sept. 25, 2013, and mailings to adjacent property owners were sent out prior to the meetings.
For information on 2014 Major General Plan Amendment Submittals, please contact Brett Burningham at 480-358-3097.
Important Public Hearing dates for the Proposed General Plan Amendments:
Maps and additional information will be available by contacting the Planning Staff. The following Major General Plan Amendment applications were filed on June 13, 2013:
- La Jara Farms (GP13-025) *Map *Narrative **APPROVED 2-5-14
- Applicant - Lindsay Schube on behalf of VIP Homes
- 140.76 acres located at the southwest corner of Hawes and Germann roads
- Change from Employment Type A to Very Low Density Residential (up to 1 du/acre)
- Currently zoned R1-43, Single Family Residential
- Estates at Queen Creek Station (GP13-026) *Application Withdrawn
- The Vineyards (GP13-029) *Application Withdrawn
- Sonoqui Creek Village (GP13-030) *Application Withdrawn
Upcoming Public Hearing Dates for Sonoqui Creek Village project are:
June 11, 2014 - Planning and Zoning Commission