Burn Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Do I need a permit to burn at my residence?

Certain burning activities do not require a permit. Open outdoor fire activities that do not require a permit include:       

  • Cooking for immediate human consumption
  • Warmth for human beings
  • Recreational purposes (small fire pit or container)
  • Branding animals
  • Orchard heaters
  • Wood burning chimneys
  • Outdoor fire pits

To check the current Air Quality Status and Fire Restrictions, visit Maricopa County's CleanAirMakeMore.com. 

When is a burn permit required, and what activities are allowed with a permit?

  • Open fires for destruction of tumble weeds for the prevention of fire hazards where other reasonable methods are not available.
  • Open fires for the burning of certain material, including citrus trees and vegetation, but only for agricultural operations.
  • Ditchbank and fence row when farmers can’t use other mechanical methods.
  • Tumbleweeds, to ensure tumbleweed seeds are destroyed.
  • Land clearance, used to clear land for farming.

How do I obtain a burn permit or file a complaint about illegal burning and/or dust violations? 

If you live in Maricopa County, contact Maricopa County Air Qualityat 602-506-6400.
If you live in Pinal County, contact Pinal County Air Quality at 520-866-6133.