When is a Permit Required?

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Permits are required for the following*:

  • Decks and patio covers
  • Sheds that exceed 200 sq. ft. total aggregate area on-site.
  • Horse shades/barns
  • Room additions
  • Guest houses
  • Garage additions
  • Fences and walls
  • Roofing
  • Additions or modifications to electrical systems - excluding fixtures
  • Additions or modifications to air systems - excluding filters
  • Water heater installations
  • Converting garage to a living area
  • Demolition of any structure
  • Remodeling (depending on the project)
  • Swimming Pools and Spas
  • Patio enclosures
  • Gazebos or pergolas or ramadas that exceed 200 sq. ft. total aggregate area on-site. 
  • New single family homes
  • Commercial Projects
  • Fire sprinklers, alarms and alarm panels
  • Solar Energy Systems

Note:  Barriers are required for both above and in-ground pools. Examples of these barriers include a five foot high fence on three sides of the pool along with either a motorized safety pool cover, a ground level door that is self closing and self latching or a four foot barrier between the pool and living quarters. Another way to meet the pool safety barrier requirements is by having five foot high fences on all sides of the pool. While there are specific restrictions placed on each of these examples, it is important to know that each pool must be protected by some type of barrier. Take advantage of the free On-Site Review and Guidance Barrier program by calling the Town to schedule an appointment.

According to Town Code 16-4-15: “No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged at any entry point into the public sewer system” substances or discharge that can cause interference or other health related concerns. To “comply with the categorical standards, pretreatment requirements and all other requirements” (16-4-17), Industrial Users are required to complete an Industrial Waste Survey as part of the Building Permit Process.

*This list is not all inclusive; permits may be required for other activities.

Please call 480-358-3003 to find out if you need a permit for your specific project.