What is a General Plan Amendment?
The Major General Plan Amendment process allows property owners to apply for Major Amendments to the Town's existing General Plan each year. Applications are typically accepted once a year in April. The State of Arizona has established regulations under Arizona Revised Statutes Section 9-461 to govern the process of how and when a Town will amend and update their General Plans.
For details about submitting a General Plan Amendment, please refer to the General Plan or contact Brett Burningham, Interim Development Services Director, at 480-358-3097.
All proposed Major General Plan Amendments undergo a 60-day public comment period. After a series of public meetings, the proposed amendments are presented at Public Hearings before the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Town Council. By law, the Town Council votes to approve or deny the Major General Plan Amendment applications. A super-majority vote of the Council (5 votes) is required to approve a Major Amendment to the General Plan.
Tentative Key Dates for the 2019 General Plan Amendments
- Pre-Application submittal due: February 25, 2019
- Major GPA Application due: April 1, 2019
- 60-day Agency Review: May 2019 - June 2019
- Town Council Work Session (as needed): April 17, 2019
- Planning Commission Work Session (as needed): June 12, 2019
- Planning Commission Meeting PUBLIC HEARING (Introduction)(alternative meeting location): August 28, 2019 (6:00 PM)
- Planning Commission PUBLIC HEARING: September 11, 2019 (6:00 PM)
- Town Council PUBLIC HEARING: October 2, 2019 (7:00 PM)