What is a General Plan Amendment?
The Major General Plan Amendment process allows property owners to apply for Major Amendments to the Town's existing General Plan each year. Applications are typically accepted once a year in June. The State of Arizona has established regulations under Arizona Revised Statues Section 9-461 to govern the process of how and when a Town will amend and update their General Plans.
For details about submitting a General Plan Amendment, please refer to the General Plan or contact Brett Burningham, Planning Manager, at 480-358-3097.
All proposed Major General Plan Amendments undergo a 60-day public comment period. After a series of public meetings, the proposed amendments are presented at Public Hearings before the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Town Council. By law, the Town Council votes to approve or deny the Major General Plan Amendment applications. A super-majority vote of the Council (5 votes) is required to approve a Major Amendment to the General Plan.
Tentative Key Dates for the 2018 General Plan Amendments
- Pre-Application submittal due: February 26, 2018
- Major GPA Application due: April 2, 2018
- 60-day Agency Review: May 2018 - June 2018
- Town Council Work Session: April 18, 2018
- Planning Commission Work Session: July 11, 2018
- Planning Commission Meeting PUBLIC HEARING (Introduction)(alternative meeting location): August 8, 2018 (7:00 PM)
- Town Council PUBLIC HEARING (Introduction): August 15, 2018 (7:00 PM)
- Planning Commission PUBLIC HEARING: September 12, 2018 (7:00 PM)
- Town Council PUBLIC HEARING: September 19, 2018 (7:00 PM)