The Town’s budget year is based on a fiscal year that begins July 1 and ends June 30 each year. Much background work is required to develop and review the annual Town budget. The development process for the budget begins long before it is officially adopted by the Town Council. Each month during the process, the Town Manager’s office and the Finance Department analyze projections of actual revenues and expenditures.
November - January
- The Finance Department examines Town revenues collected to date.
- The Finance Department analyzes projected revenues.
- The Finance Department compiles budget information and distributes the information, instructions and worksheets to Town departments.
February - April
- Town departments prepare estimated budget expenditures.
- The Finance Department compiles the revenue estimates and projected budget expenditures provided by each Town department/division.
- The Budget Committee (including three Town Council members) reviews departmental budget estimates.
May - June
- The Budget Committee reviews and revises departmental budgets and prepares the tentative budget summary.
- The Town Council reviews and adopts the tentative budget.
June - July
- The tentative budget is published once a week for two consecutive weeks.
- A public hearing is held to discuss the budget.
- The Town Council convenes a special meeting to adopt the final budget.
- The final budget is implemented as the Town’s new fiscal year begins.