CURRENT STAGE: CONSTRUCTION
Scheduled Construction Completion: Spring 2019.
This project was separated into two phases to accommodate the construction completion of Old Ellsworth Road and Walnut Road during the Queen Creek Middle School’s 2017 summer break. Phase 1 construction is complete and consisted of improvements to Ellsworth Road and Old Ellsworth Road from just north of the UPRR tracks to just south of Queen Creek Road. Improvements included paving, drainage, curb and gutter, sidewalk, landscaping, street lights, waterline and sewer improvements. The work included construction of a cul-de-sac turnaround and public parking near the school/San Tan Historical Society, and museum, and realigning Walnut Road to provide safer travel movements in the area.
Phase 2 involves improvements to Ellsworth Road from Walnut Road to Fulton Parkway and to Queen Creek Road 1/8 mile east of Ellsworth Road. These improvements include:
- Realignment and softening of the Ellsworth Loop/Ellsworth Road curve at the Queen Creek Road intersection to improve traffic flow and movement
- Street improvements to widen Ellsworth Road to three lanes in each direction from Walnut Road to Fulton Parkway
- Drainage, irrigation and waterline improvements
- Sidewalk and landscape improvements
- Traffic signal improvements
- In conjunction with the Town project, adjacent private development is constructing certain offsite improvements along Ellsworth Road that will result in three lanes of through traffic each way, median with turn lanes, bike lane and sidewalks on Ellsworth Road from Fulton Parkway to Germann Road and Queen Creek Road improvements eastward one-eighth mile.
CURRENT TRAFFIC IMPACT
Ellsworth Road northbound traffic from Walnut Road to Ryan Road has two lanes open. Ellsworth Road southbound traffic is shifted back to the west side on two lanes of new pavement. Work is underway on the middle portion of the roadway. Periodic lane restrictions during off-peak daytime hours will occur as work progress requires. Speed limits remain reduced to 35 mph though this area.
Construction on Ellsworth Road north of Ryan Road has completed. Traffic restrictions at Germann Road may occur as work on Germann Road requires it. Final striping and pavement marking will take place once work reaches completion south of Ryan Road. Bumps at pavement course transitions are present and drivers should be cautious.
FUTURE TRAFFIC IMPACTS
Phase 2 construction is further divided into sub-phases, as follows. A tentative timeline for each sub-phase is shown.
- Sub-Phase 1 & 2 (complete) – Under grounding of SRP electric, temporary asphalt on shoulders, storm drain and utility work and traffic signal improvements
- Sub-Phase 3 (complete) – Construct the north and east sections of the intersection
- Sub-Phase 4 (complete) – Construct the south and east sections of the intersection
- Sub-Phase 5 (complete) – Flip traffic to east side and construct the west side of Ellsworth Road in the project area
- Sub-Phase 6 (May-June) – Work in the center of Ellsworth Road to install median islands and paving - IN PROGRESS
- Sub-Phase 7 (July) – Final paving and striping of the improvements.
Please see the sub-phasing graphics below for each of the sub-phases, which indicate where the construction zone will be and where travel will be shifted. The construction approach is subject to change. During construction, the contractor strives to maintain two lanes of travel in each direction on Ellsworth Road. However, some work efforts may require further lane restrictions. Those efforts will be scheduled as practicable during daytime off-peak hours or at nights to accommodate the traffic demands on Ellsworth Road. Soil conditions in the work areas have previously required repairs and may require additional emergency repairs that may interfere with efforts to maintain four lanes open at all times.
Early warning variable message signs are being used to alert traffic to upcoming changes or restrictions. These signs are placed both south and north of the project.
Project sub-phase 5 is completed. Sub-phase 6 is underway! Starting in mid-May, traffic will run on the east and west sides of the roadway to allow work on the middle lanes of Ellsworth Road south of Ryan Road. Various restrictions at intersections will occur as work progresses.
North of Ryan Road, the developer's contractor completed work on Ellsworth Road and this roadway stretch is opened with access to Superstition Drive.
Queen Creek Road east continues to have partial restrictions for concrete work related work completion.
No public meetings are currently scheduled.
For more details about this project, please contact our project hotline at 480.898.4090.
For more information about our Capital Improvement Program, contact Troy White, Public Works Director at 480-358-3746 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To submit questions or comments about this project visit our Capital Improvement Project Feedback Page.