The Town is developing a multifaceted approach for ensuring long-term, generational access to water.
One element of the overall strategy is a proposed purchase of water rights from a property owner in the Cibola Valley in La Paz County.
Because the agreement involves 4th Priority Colorado River Water, it must be approved by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation (USBR) and the Arizona Department of Water Resources (ADWR).
The Request for Consultation, available below, was filed with ADWR on Aug. 1.
ADWR Water Rights Transfer Process Policy:
- Submit a Request for Consultation and Water Use Management Plan to the director at least 150 days prior to proposed transfer
- Public Outreach Conducted by ADWR:
- Publish two public notices in paper
- Notify the La Paz County Planning & Zoning
- Notify all users within the Cibola Valley Irrigation District
- May notify all interested parties
- 30-day public comment
- Recommendation from the Director 60 days after public comment
USBR Water Rights Process:
- Submit a water transfer proposal
- Technical Analysis of transfer proposal
- Environmental document
- Public review
- Finalize environmental document
- Determination by the Regional Director